avTag 1.0b1

Just over a month ago I wrote a blog post about my intention to release a beta of avTag before WWDC. Today, one week before WWDC begins, I shipped beta 1 to 23 testers.

What people don’t know is that a few days after making my commitment I also decided to make a more immediate, more terminal one during a discussion with another developer. That was that if I couldn’t ship an alpha version to a very small group of people within a week I’d pull the plug on avTag.

The reasoning was that I’d been talking about avTag for over two years and I’d been developing it for around a year. If, after all of that time, I couldn’t ship something that at least vaguely worked within a few days then I might as well not bother. The excuses, delays and procrastinating had to end and this was the final test.

With that in mind I created a long list of issues in GitHub and prioritised the ones I needed to fix to get something, anything, released. They included implementing FTS and merging in code from several, independent projects I’d created to try things out such as monitoring file changes in the application’s Documents folder.

Over a three day period I spent something approaching 35 hours writing code and at the end of it I did indeed ship alpha 1 of avTag and in the four weeks since then I released a further 10 builds.

The strange thing is that my enthusiasm and excitement has, if anything, grown now that I can see it all coming together. There is still a lot to get done before I am ready to submit version 1 to Apple for approval but things have come a very long way in the last month, my enthusiasm is high, and a group of keen testers can only add to that.

After a lot of talk, avTag is nearly here.